Crime Prevention Tips
Help Prevent Crime
While there is no such thing as a typical crime victim, there are some things that you can do to reduce your chances of being victimized.
- It is a good idea to keep your doors locked even when you are home. If you have an open-door policy, you need to keep in mind that your children are learning this from you.
- If a stranger comes by to make a phone call, offer to make the call for them, do not let them in your house.
- Automatic timers for indoor and outdoor lights are a good idea. You may also want to leave a radio or television on. Use them to make your house look occupied while you are gone.
- Notify your neighbors when you are leaving town. Have them get newspapers, mail, and keep an eye on your residence. You may also want to advise the department to check your residences while you are gone.
- All exterior doors should have dead bolts on them that penetrates at least 2" into the door jam.
- You should carry your purse by placing its strap across your body so it is harder for someone to take it from you.
- Do not hide an extra key under a mat, in a flowerpot, over the door, etc. Give your extra key to a trusted neighbor.
- Park your car in a well-lighted area. Good lighting is a deterrent to crime; criminals don't want to be seen committing crime.
- Always walk with confidence, looking ahead and to the sides, making quick eye contact with people around you. Communicate the message that you know where you are going.
- Stay alert and observant of your surroundings.
- Keep you car doors locked while you are traveling. It will help to keep you safe from possible intruders and will also give your vehicle more body strength in the event of a traffic crash.
- Keep a brightly colored "Call Police" sign in your vehicle. In the event of a breakdown, put this in a window. People who wish to do you harm will not know whether the police have been called yet or not, and will most likely pass you by.
No matter what situation you are in, if you have a "bad" feeling about it or someone, trust that feeling and get out!